Spanish Noodle Supper
And, who doesn't love bacon?! :D
- 6 slice
- 1 lb
- ground beef
- 2 tsp
- beef base or bouillon
- 1 can(s)
- mexican style stewed tomatoes
- 8 oz
- tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp
- ground oregano
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 c
- water, approx.
- 1 pkg
- egg noodles (12 oz)*
- 2 c
- shredded cheddar cheese, divided
How to Make Spanish Noodle Supper
- 1Cut the bacon into 1" pieces, and fry in a dutch oven, over medium heat, until crisp.
Remove bacon pieces from the skillet and set aside.
- 2While the bacon is crisping, chop the onion.
Cook onion in bacon drippings until softened and yellow.
- 3Add ground beef to the pot, breaking it up with your spoon. Cook until there's no more pink in the meat.
- 4While the meat is cooking stir in the beef base. Then add the oregano, salt, and pepper.
- 5Stir in the tomato sauce and the stewed tomatoes, breaking up the chunks in your hand as they go into the pot.
- 6Stir in the water. Heat to bubbling, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- 7Distribute the noodles evenly over the top of the meat mixture in the pot. Increase heat to med-low. Cover, and simmer another 10-12 minutes until the noodles are done, stirring occasionally. (Add a little more water if necessary.)
- 8Just before serving, stir in half of the cheese, then the bacon pieces.
Garnish each serving with a tablespoon or two of the remaining cheese.
- 9NOTES: If you like, chopped green pepper may be cooked with the onion, but we're not fans, so I don't.
You may use a can of beef broth in place of the water and beef base, if you prefer.
*This recipe is easily made gluten free by substituting gluten-free pasta for the egg noodles. I ONLY use Tinkyada brand, and I think the brown rice fusilli works best in this recipe.