Slow cooker pot roast
- 2-2 1/2 lb
- chuck roast or similar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- oil for browning the meat
- carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- medium to large onion
- package dry onion soup mix
- 1 c
- beef, chicken or vegetable broth, optional ( you may need more it just depends)
How to Make Slow cooker pot roast
- 1Pat the moisture from the meat. Cut in large chunks if desired. Brown in hot oil all sides of meat.
- 2Layer potatoes, carrots and onions in bottom of slow cooker. Mix the package of dry soup mix with about 3 cups of water. If you need to add more you can do so after you get the meat in the cooker.
- 3When all the meat is browned add it to the cooker. Check water level if the meat is not at least partially covered add some water or if you prefer some chicken beef or vegetable stock.
Now depending on your time, cook on low 8-10 hours OR if you need it sooner cook on high for 3-4 hours then on low for 2 hours. If you want to thicken the broth you can then serve right from the cooker with hot rolls, bread or corn bread