Since there are two of us, a 3 1/2 pound roast resulted in meat for four meals: one tonight and three in the freezer for quick reheating other nights.
- 3 1/2 lb
- boneless chuck roast
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil or other cooking oil
- 1 c
- beef broth, reduced sodium
- 3/4 c
- brown barbecue sauce (i used country bob sauce)
How to Make Shredded Beef
- 1Preheat the oven to 275F.
- 2Cut the roast into four large pieces to increase the surface area. Salt and pepper all surfaces.
- 3Heat a heavy "dutch oven" on medium high heat and coat the bottom with the oil. Brown the meat on all sides.
- 4Remove from heat, pour in the broth and distribute half the barbecue sauce on the top of the meat.
- 5Cover and bake for 2 hours.
- 6Turn the pieces of meat over and spread with the remainder of the barbecue sauce. The juice should have increased in volume to almost reach the top of the meat. If it hasn't, add more broth or water.
- 7Leave uncovered and bake another 2 hours for a total of 4 hours.
- 8Remove from the oven. Check to see if the meat pulls apart easily. If it does not, return it to the oven for more cooking.
- 9When the beef is cool enough to handle but still warm, remove the meat from the juice. Pour the juice in a glass container and refrigerate it for the fat to solidify.
- 10Using forks and your fingers shred the beef, discarding any fat or sinews. Doing this while the beef is still warm is easier than when it is cold.
- 11When the fat has jelled on top of the juice, remove the fat with a slotted spoon. Discard the fat.
- 12Divide the meat into meal-sized portions and add the juice. Freeze.
- 13To serve, microwave until heated through.