Short Ribs in the Pressure Cooker
8 mediumbone-in beef short ribs (about 4 pounds)
·salt and pepper
2 Tbspvegetable oil
3 slicebacon, diced
1 largeyellow onion, chopped
3 clovegarlic, minced
1/2 cdry red wine
1 cbeef broth, reduced sodium
2 Tbsptomato paste
How to Make Short Ribs in the Pressure Cooker
- Season ribs generously with salt and pepper. Add oil to the pressure cooking pot and heat over high heat. When oil is hot, brown the ribs in small batches, do not crowd. Remove to a plate.
- Add bacon to pressure cooking pot and cook until brown and crisp. Add onion to pressure cooking pot and sauté until tender about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute more.
- Add the wine and using a wooden spoon, scrape any brown bits from bottom of pan. Add beef broth, tomato paste, and ribs to pressure cooking pot, cover and lock lid in place.
- Bring up to high pressure and when at pressure, turn down heat to keep pressure steady. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes, then release pressure. Remove lid.
- With tongs, remove ribs to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Use a fat separator and a mesh strainer to separate the fat from the juices. Return juices to the cooking pot.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Add to juices in the cooking pot. Place pan over medium-high heat and bring to boil, stirring constantly, until juices thicken.
- Return ribs to pot and stir to coat meat with sauce. Serve ribs with sauce.