Sauerbraten W/Braised Cabbage & Buttered Noodles
Rose Mary Mogan
- 4-5 pound boneless rump roast ( i had a 7 pounder)
- 3 Tbsp
- canola or olive oil
- 2 medium
- yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 large
- carrot, peeled & sliced thin ( i cut mine on an angle)
- 2 stick
- celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 c
- white wine vinegar
- 1/2 c
- white wine
- 4 c
- cold water
- whole cloves
- black pepper corns
- bay leaves
- 8 sprig(s)
- parsley, ( i used 1 1/2 tbs. dried)
- 6 sprig(s)
- fresh thyme, ( i used 1 tbs. dried)
- salt & freshly ground pepper ( i used kosher salt, coarsely ground pepper
- ginger snap cookies, finely crushed
- 2 Tbsp
- honey (or to taste)
- 3 Tbsp
- each flour & unsalted butter
How to Make Sauerbraten W/Braised Cabbage & Buttered Noodles
- 1In a large pot, add the canola or olive oil, and heat. Season the meat with salt & Pepper, on all sides. OR NOTE: I BLENDED 1 TABLESPOON EACH OF KOSHER SALT, PAPRIKA, BLACK PEPPER, CUMIN, & ONION POWDER, AND 1 1/2 TABLESPOONS GARLIC POWDER IN A SMALL BOWL, MIXED TOGETHER, AND SPRINKLED LIBERALLY ON ALL SIDES. Saved the remainder for another use later in a small spice bottle.
- 2Then add the roast to the pot of hot oil and brown on all sides, it will take about 15 minutes more or less. Then I turned the fire off while I prepared the vegetables,As I chopped them I added them to a mediuum size bowl, the onions, celery, carrots, minced garlic,add the white wine vinegar to the bowl, the white wine, the 4 cups of cold water, whole cloves, peppercorns, the bay leaves parsley, thyme, & salt and pepper to the bowl, then stirred and then reheated pot with the roast, and added all of the chopped vegetables mixed with liquids & herbs & spices to the pot. Stir several times, cover pot with lid, & bring to a boil, lower heat and let simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Then turn roast over to other side and recover with lid, and allow to continue to simmer for an additional 1 1/2 hours.
- 3Transfer the roast to a large platter, cover with foil to keep warm.Strain the liquid in pot to a large bowl, I saved the carrots and added to my cabbage, but it is not neccessary. Save 1/2 cup of liquid to be added to the braised cabbage.
- 4I had a lot of liquid so you may not need it all. In a large skillet or sauce pan add the butter and heat till melted then whisk in the flour and stir until it is golden brown about 2 minutes. Then stir in the cooking liquid, then stir to mix, and reduce the heat to low, then cook until it is thickened then taste, add salt and pepper to taste. Now add the crushed ginger snaps, and honey to taste.
- 5Carve the roast into nice thick slices, or it will crumbled if sliced too thin. ( I USED AN ELECTRIC KNIFE, FOR NICE FULL SLICES.) Arrange slices on platter and add the thickened gravy down the middle of meat slices. Served with Braised Red Cabbage & Buttered noodles. I had to add a separate recipe for those since this is quite a long list of ingredients & steps.
- 6Since I had never made Sauerbraten, & wanted to do a good job, and wanted a trusted recipe, I relied on Bobby Flay, and he has not failed me yet. I love this recipe, but it is quite a bit of work in making the sides to go with it as well, but it is a proven winner as it always is with Bobby Flay. Thanks Food Network & Bobby Flay. I didn't follow exactly but close enough.