~::~ RUNZAS ~::~
These are awesome hot out of the oven, warmed up as leftovers, and/or they freeze well, also.
How to Make ~::~ RUNZAS ~::~
- 1Prep rolls to rise per instructions on bag -- this can take several hours, depending on temperature. (You can use the shortcut method according to instructions also on bag, although I've never done it so not sure how well it works!)
- 2About an hour before rolls are fully-risen, prepare filling by first sauteing onion in a small amount of butter or oil until crisp-tender.
- 3Add hamburger to same pan (with onion) and cook 'til brown, stirring occasionally. Drain fat, if desired; I typically use very lean beef that requires little-to-no draining.
- 4Season with salt & pepper, to taste. (NOTE: I have not included measurements as individual tastes vary, but 'true' runzas are quite peppery -- this is what gives that distinct, tell-tale flavor!)
- 5Add cabbage to same pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Once done, remove from heat and let sit while you prepare dough.
- 6Once dough has fully risen, flatten individual rolls with rolling pin. Place about 1/2 c. or so of beef/cabbage filling in center, pinch the seams closed, and then place (seam-side down) on sprayed baking sheet. If not rushed for time, let sit for another 20-30 mins. to allow dough to rise a bit more.
- 7Place in preheated 350 degree oven and let bake about 20 mins. or until lightly browned.