Roast Prime Rib
How to Make Roast Prime Rib
- 1Select any size roast. Let meat stand at room temperature for at least one hour.
- 2Preheat oven to 375 F.
- 3Rub meat well, top and sides, with salt and pepper. Don't worry--you can't use too much.
- 4Place meat, fat side up in a shallow roasting pan. I usually just use a cake pan fitting the size of my roast.
- 5Put in oven and bake for one hour. Turn off the oven, BUT DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN NO MATTER HOW LONG BEFORE YOU PLAN TO EAT!!!! When I was working, I would do this hour before I left for work, and complete the rest of the recipe when I got home.
- 6Still do not open the oven! 30 to 40 minutes before serving, turn the oven on again to 375 F. Cook meat for those extra 30-40 minutes. I tend to stay closer to 30-35 minutes, because it keeps cooking when it rests before carving. NOW you can open the oven and remove the roast. Let it rest for ten minutes. Your roast will be brown and crisp on the outside and tender, pink, and juicy on the inside.
- 7If you use a bone-in roast, I just read a good tip: cut the bones off (all in one slab) and set them in the pan and lay the roast on top of them. It makes for easier carving when the roast is done.