Roast Prime Rib of Beef w/ Horseradish Crust
Rose Mary Mogan
- bone in prime rib roast, 3 ribs about 6 pounds
- 5 clove
- garlic, ( i use 8-10)
- 1/4 c
- fresh horseradish( refrigerated section)
- 1 tsp
- dried rosemary
- 2 tsp
- dried thyme
- 1/3 c
- kosher salt
- 1/4 c
- coarsely grated black pepper
- 1/2 c
- extra virgin olive oil, or canola oil
How to Make Roast Prime Rib of Beef w/ Horseradish Crust
- 1Remove Roast from fridge and allow it to come to room temperature, at least an hour or so.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Place the rib in a large roasting pan bone side down, allowing the bone to act as a natural roasting rack.
- 3Add the cloves of garlic, horseradish, rosemary, thyme leaves, salt,& black pepper in a food processor, then lock in place, and slowly drizzle oil into shoot while motor is running, let come to a smooth paste Then add to roast, basting all sides top and bottom, marinate generously. Place roast in preheated 350 degree F. oven and allow to roast until an instant read thermometer reaches 125 degrees F. for (rare). 1 1/2to 2 hours. For medium rare 140 degrees F. and 170 degrees for well done.
PLEASE NOTE: It is best to cook to medium rare stage, & then nuke it in the microwave if it is not cooked well enough. This cut of meat tends to get TOUGH IF OVER COOKED.
- 4Remove roast from oven to a carving board and let it rest at least 20 minutes for juices to redistribute before carving. Because of the amount of salt in this recipe, I do not use the pan drippings to make a gravy, instead I make the Marchand de Vin Sauce, to serve with the beef. The recipe is posted here.