RINDERROULADEN (BEEF ROLLS)
- 16 to 20 oz
- flank steak, 1 inch thick (should be about 3x6 inches)
- 3 to 4 Tbsp
- brown mustard
- dill pickles
- 8 slice
- 3 Tbsp
- butter, separated
- 1 large
- white onion
- 1 1/2 c
- beef broth
How to Make RINDERROULADEN (BEEF ROLLS)
- 1Slice steak horizontally into 4 quarter-inch thick filets. Spread brown mustard on one side of each steak. Place 2 strips of bacon on each steak. Quarter 1 pickle lengthwise to create 4 pickle spears; set aside. Slice remaining 3 pickles into very thin wheels. Spread thin pickle slices over steaks, covering all.
- 2Peel, halve, and slice onion. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in medium hot skillet. Saute onion in skillet until golden brown. With tongs, spread sauted onion evenly over the four steaks. Set skillet aside.
- 3Starting at narrowest end of steak, roll each around a single pickle spear. Tie each roll closed with two pieces of cooking string.
- 4Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in onion skillet on medium high heat. Place beef rolls in skillet. Turn beef rolls in skillet; brown well on all sides. Add beef broth to skillet. Cover skillet and reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 60-80 minutes.
- 5Remove Rouladen from skillet; Cut and remove string. Increase heat to high. Reduce broth in skillet by half to create sauce. Drizzle sauce over Rouladen and serve.