RINDERROULADEN (BEEF ROLLS)
16 to 20 ozflank steak, 1 inch thick (should be about 3x6 inches)
3 to 4 Tbspbrown mustard
3 Tbspbutter, separated
1 largewhite onion
1 1/2 cbeef broth
How to Make RINDERROULADEN (BEEF ROLLS)
- Slice steak horizontally into 4 quarter-inch thick filets. Spread brown mustard on one side of each steak. Place 2 strips of bacon on each steak. Quarter 1 pickle lengthwise to create 4 pickle spears; set aside. Slice remaining 3 pickles into very thin wheels. Spread thin pickle slices over steaks, covering all.
- Peel, halve, and slice onion. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in medium hot skillet. Saute onion in skillet until golden brown. With tongs, spread sauted onion evenly over the four steaks. Set skillet aside.
- Starting at narrowest end of steak, roll each around a single pickle spear. Tie each roll closed with two pieces of cooking string.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in onion skillet on medium high heat. Place beef rolls in skillet. Turn beef rolls in skillet; brown well on all sides. Add beef broth to skillet. Cover skillet and reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 60-80 minutes.
- Remove Rouladen from skillet; Cut and remove string. Increase heat to high. Reduce broth in skillet by half to create sauce. Drizzle sauce over Rouladen and serve.