Prego No Pão - Garlic Nailed Steak - Portugal
·1⁄2 lb sirloin steak, cut in 1/4-inch thick slices, all fat trimmed off
·4 tablespoons butter
·6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
·1 large onion, thinly sliced
·1⁄2 cup white wine
·1 teaspoon salt, coarse sea salt
·1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
How to Make Prego No Pão - Garlic Nailed Steak - Portugal
- Place the steaks on your work space, lay the slices of garlic on the side of the steaks, using a tenderizing mallet, "nail" the garlic to the steak by pounding the slices into the meat. Repeat on the reverse side of the steaks.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry each steak in the butter for two to three minutes, turning once, then transfer to a dish and cover.
- Melt the remaining tbsp of butter in the same skillet, add the onions and saute until they are golden. Transfer the onions to the dish holding the steaks.
- Pour the wine into the same skillet and using the flat edge of a wooden spoon, scrap up the caramelized coating on the bottom of the pan.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and reduce the sauce by half.
- Return the onions and beef to the sauce and heat through for 1 minute.
- Serve on a plate with rice and vegetables.