Blue Ribbon Recipe
Mmmm... the poblano in this recipe adds a wonderfully robust, smoky flavor. A must-try! The Test Kitchen
- 1 lb
- ground beef
- 2 small
- or 1 large poblano pepper
- 1 Tbsp
- garlic, minced
- 1 pkg
- taco seasoning
- 1 lb
- sharp cheddar cheese - grated
- corn tortillas
- 1 medium
- 14 oz
- enchilada sauce - (your favorite)
How to Make Poblanadas
- 1First you want to put your poblano pepper on your grill and let the outside get charred. Then put it into a glass or metal bowl and cover it with plastic wrap immediately after you take it off the grill - This allows it to sweat and makes the skin come off much easier. While it is sweating you can move on to the next step.
- 2Next, brown your ground beef with a chopped onion. If you have alot of grease left then you will want to drain it off. Add taco seasoning.
- 3Peel the blackened skins off of the poblanos (don't worry if you miss some, it won't hurt anything,) discard the seeds and the stem, and chop it up.. but not too small. Put them into the skillet with your beef mixture. Cook this for just a couple of minutes on a low heat. The peppers are already done - you just want to marry the poblano pepper flavor into the meat.
- 4Take a small skillet and put a little extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil or whatever you have on hand into the skillet. (Just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet will do.)
- 5On a low heat put each tortilla into the skillet for a few seconds. You just want to soften them - not fry them. Remove from the skillet and put a tablespoon of the meat mixture into the center of the tortilla. Sprinkle a little bit of the grated cheese into the center with the meat mixture, and roll the tortilla up and put into a 9x13 pan seam side down. Continue this until the pan is full.
- 6Pour the can of enchilada sauce over the poblanadas and then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the poblanadas. Put into the oven and cook at 350 for about 15-20 minutes or just until the cheese is melted. Top with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream if you like.