Osso Bucco and Vegetables
Thanks for all the help and info provided by members here I was able to make a delicious sauce that reminds me of that Restaurant in North Beach, San Francisco.
·1 1/2 lb beef oxtails (fat removed)
·1 1/2 lb beef chuck (fat removed) cut into large chunks
·adolph's meat tenderizer
1fresh basil leaf
1 Tbspunsalted butter
4 clovegarlic chopped
1 can(s)14.5 oz stewed tomatoes rinsed and chopped (my can had sugar in it).
1 can(s)8 oz. tomato sauce
2 cbeef broth, reduced sodium
1/2 cred wine medium sweetness
3large potatoes (optional)
4lrg carrots (optional)
2lrg parsnips (optional)
40 ozjar whole button mushrooms
4 Tbspolive oil
How to Make Osso Bucco and Vegetables
- Make sure you cut off every bit of fat that you can get to. There is plenty of flavor in the Oxtail and you don't need any of the fat ruining your sauce and making it oily. Cut every bit of fat off on both Meats.
- Season Generously with Adolph's Meat Tenderizer (this is like salt but better) and Pepper. I didn't add more salt after this but you can if you want. I think the Tenderizer is enough salt. *Note: When you add the sauce to the meat it will make the sauce saltier. So try not to add any.
- Put Flour in a Bag and add 1/2 the meat and shake it around and remove it and put in a hot skillet with the olive oil and Sear the Meat. Do the same thing with the other 1/2 of remaining meat. Put in a Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker or Stock Pot. I used a pressure cooker.
- Add the Rosemary Bunch, Fresh Basil Leaf & The Bay Leaf.
- In the skillet with the drippings add 1 tablespoon butter, the chopped onion & garlic. Simmer and add a little of your broth to keep the onions moist and simmering. Let simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of beef broth and then the rinsed stewed chopped tomatoes. Heat until hot.
- Add the Red Wine. Let it cook for a few minutes to incorporate together.
- Pour all of the ingredients into the Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Or Stock Pot. (** See Note at bottom for cooking methods)with the Spices and Seared Meat. Gently stir and loosen the meat from sitting on the bottom.
- Close the lid and turn on high, after the Pressure Cooker starts to Rock turn it down just low enough to keep it rocking then set the timer for 25 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking. Peel your Potatoes, Carrots, & Parsnips and cut into large chunks. And wait for the meat to finish cooking.
- When the meat is done and you can open the pressure cooker *Note: Very Important: (do not stir any sediments from the bottom of the pan) cut the button mushrooms in half and add to the Osso Bucco. Cover to keep warm.
- In another pan boil your vegetables until desired tenderness.
- Scoop out the Osso Bucco *Note: careful not to scrape the bottom of the Pressure cooker* and put in a large bowl.
- This recipe is excellent with the Button Mushrooms, Parsnips and Warm Baguette Bread. It really makes for a wonderful combination.
- Pressure Cooker 25 min. Contents will settle at bottom and stick to the pot. *Do not stir when done*
Slow Cooker: Low 8-10 hours or until meat falls apart.
Stove Top: Simmer 3 hrs, Stir often, no scraping bottom of pan. Cook until meat falls apart.