No Grill Flank Steak
We like flank steak. We cut it into meal-sized pieces and cook it quickly. You don't even need to marinate it.
How to Make No Grill Flank Steak
- Optionally, marinate the steak for the amount of time appropriate for the marinade being used. Marinating is NOT necessary but a choice.
- About 25 minutes before you intend to cook the steak, place the cast iron grill pan in the oven and pre-heat the oven to 450 F
- At this time, also take the steak out of the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.
- If you marinated the steak, dry it thoroughly with paper towels. If the steak is wet when it hits the pan it will stew rather than grill.
- Rub the steak on both sides with the olive oil.
- Season to taste. Simply using salt and pepper makes a tasty steak that tastes of pure BEEF. Any dried herb or spice mix may be used.
- Place the steak on the pre-heated grill pan and bake for 5 minutes.
- Flip the steak and bake an additional 5 minutes. This results in a medium rare steak by the time it is done resting.
- Remove from the pan, losely cover with foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice very thinly perpendicular to the grain. Flank steak will be tough cut any other way, including at an angle as recommended in so many recipes.
- If you have leftovers, slice and reheat briefly in a buttered skillet to make a truly sinful steak sandwich.