My Mothers 'Roast Beef' with Yorkshire Pudding'
- 1- 4 to 6 lb
- beef roast; use your favorite type of roast-my mom usually used a rib roast or what she could afford at the time.
- salt & pepper
- 1 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- all- purpose flour
- horseradish sauce- (follows below):
- 1/4 c
- horseradish sauce, drained
- 1 Tbsp
- white vinegar
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- prepared mustard
- 1/2 c
- heavy cream or whipping cream, whipped
- in small bowl, mix well first 5 ingredients. fold into whipped cream.
How to Make My Mothers 'Roast Beef' with Yorkshire Pudding'
- 1Place roast in open roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- 2Insert meat thermometer into thickest part, making sure it is in the center of roast & not resting on bone or fat.
- 3Roast in 325 degree until temperature reaches 140 for rare(1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours); 160 for medium-rare(2 1/4 to 3 1/2 hours); 170 for well done(2 3/4 to 4 hours, depending on preference, I like mine med-rare. When roast is done, allow it to stand at room temperature 15 minutes for easier carving. About 5 minutes before end of roasting time, prepare Yorkshire Pudding.
- 4In medium bowl with wire whisk, beat eggs until foamy; beat in milk & 1/2 tsp of salt; gradually beat in flour until batter is smooth.
- 5When roast is done, spoon off 2 tbsp drippings & divide into twelve 3-inch muffin cups; tilt to coat evenly; turn oven to 400 degrees. Note: my mother made her pudding in a rounded souffle' dish. My kids always like it in the muffin cups for individual serving sizes plus they come out so cute.
- 6Heat muffin pan in oven 5 minutes; pour 2 1/2 tbsp batter in each muffin cup. Bake 30 minutes.
- 7Loosen Yorkshire Pudding; transfer to platter & serve immediately with roast & Horseradish Sauce. Note: you can save more of the drippings from roasting pan to make a gravy as well. It's good to fix up some gravy to pour a little over the pudding cups, yum!.