My Low-Fat All-American Meat Loaf
Made this last night for dinner. The cider vinegar and Worchestershire sauce add zing to the tomato topping. Was easy to make and smelled so good cooking. Another one of my friends gave me this recipe knowing I'm watching my diet these days. Woody and love meat loaf and I always made it with crushed crackers,whole egg. We both think this is just as good. Enjoy!
2 largeegg whites
1/2 tspsalt, divided
1 lbextra-lean ground beef or ground turkey
1/2 cfinely chipped onion
1/2 cfinely chipped green bell pepper
1(8 ounce) can no salt added tomato sauce, divided
1slice gluten-free bread, torn into 4 pieces
2 tspcider vinegar
2 tspworcestershire sauce
How to Make My Low-Fat All-American Meat Loaf
- Preheat your oven to 350
- In a large bowl combine egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and stir with a whisk.
- Add beef or turkey, bell pepper,onion and 1/2 cup tomato sauce to egg mixture.
- Place bread pieces in a food processor and process until fine crumbs form.
- Add crumbs to meat mixture and mix with hands just until combined.
- Shape meat mixture in a 8 X 5 inch loaf and place in a loaf pan or place on a foil lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Combine remaining tomato sauce, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt,sugar,vinegar and worcestershire sauce in a small bowl stirring with a spoon.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce mixture.
- Spoon remaining sauce mixture over top of loaf.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes or until browned.
- Remove from oven and spoon reserved sauce over meat loaf and let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into 8 slices.
- Serve with your favorite sides along with a green salad and enjoy.