How to Make Merriwether's Delicious Golumpke
- 1Score cabbage around stem and place in plastic grocery bag. Loosely tie handles and microwave cabbage 5-7 minutes on 80% power to steam. Let cool in microwave, remove cabbage and peel leaves carefully. Set aside..
- 2Cook white rice in 2 cups water. Simmer 20 min or until done. Let cool.
- 3Combine tomato soup with 3/4 of the pint of cream and blend well.
- 4Mix raw hamburger, garlic powder, pepper and 1/4 cup of soup mixture with cooked rice. The best way to combine is with your hands, like meatloaf. Mix well.
- 5Place a large tablespoon of hamburger mixture on cabbage leaf and wrap excess cabbage under meat pocket. Repeat with remaining cabbage and filling.
- 6Line a large casserole dish with leftover cabbage leaves. Place golumpkes in baking dish, excess cabbage side down. Stack second layer of golumpke directly on top of first layer, if necessary.
- 7Cover golumpkes with remaining soup mixture, spreading evenly. Cover with leftover cabbage leaves that were unused, then cover dish with aluminum foil or cover for baking dish.
- 8Bake at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Remove cabbage leaves from top of golumpke and discard before serving.