Mamie's Best-Ever Meatloaf
- 1 1/2 c
- dried mixed bread pieces (or croutons work well)
- 1 c
- canned evaporated milk
- 2 large
- eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 lb
- lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb
- ground sausage (breakfast bulk)
- 1/2 c
- raw carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 c
- fresh parsley, chopped (i've used 1/2 c. dried when fresh is not available)
- 1 Tbsp
- each: dried thyme, dried basil and italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 2 slice
- 4 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 can(s)
- (10 3/4 oz) beef consomme or beef broth
How to Make Mamie's Best-Ever Meatloaf
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, soak bread pieces in evaporated milk until soft and fluffy. Add eggw, ground beef, ground sausage, rew carrot and chopped fresh parsley. Mix in seasonings. Divide mixture between two foil loaf pans. Top each loaf with 1 strip of bacon and 2 Tablespoons of ketchup.
- 2Place pans in the oven, and immediately lower the temperature to 325 degrees; bake for 1 hour. Remove loav es from pans to a warm platter and allow to stand for 10 minutes befor slicing.
- 3Pour the pan juices into a small saucepan and (off the heat) stir in 2 tablespoons of flour. Add beef consomme and bring to a simmer while whisking. When the sauce boils and thickens, thin with water as needed.
- 4You will want to serve "Mamie's Tomato Aspic" with this as well. It is delicious,but certainly optional. I have posted this recipe as well, here on JAP.