Lick The Plate Clean Beef (Or Pork!) Stew
Wonderful served with a basket of warm garlic bread for dipping.
Update: Late last night I took the stew meat out of the freezer to thaw in the fridge over night. It wasn't until I opened the package that I realized that it was PORK stew meat. I went ahead with the recipe anyway, and it was absolutely fantastic! I would highly recommend trying pork stew meat for a change of pace. The pork was melt in your mouth tender and gave the dish a truly wonderful flavor.
My careless mistake turned into a new family favorite. Enjoy! Peg
- 6 Tbsp
- flour, divided
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 lb
- beef or pork stew meat, 1" cubes
- onion, chopped
- canola or vegetable oil for frying meat
- cloves garlic, minced
- 4 c
- beef broth
- 3/4 tsp
- dried thyme
- medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 3 medium
- carrots, cut into 1/4" slices
How to Make Lick The Plate Clean Beef (Or Pork!) Stew
- 1In large plastic bag, combine 4 T. flour, salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Add beef and shake to coat.
- 2In dutch oven, brown beef in oil. (In batches, if necessary.)
- 3Remove beef and set aside. Add onion to pan and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in remaining flour and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add beef and thyme.
- 4Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours.
- 5Add potatoes and carrots. Cover and bake 1 hour longer until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with warm, crusty bread or garlic bread to soak up all of the wonderful gravy.