Lick The Plate Clean Beef (Or Pork!) Stew
Wonderful served with a basket of warm garlic bread for dipping.
Update: Late last night I took the stew meat out of the freezer to thaw in the fridge over night. It wasn't until I opened the package that I realized that it was PORK stew meat. I went ahead with the recipe anyway, and it was absolutely fantastic! I would highly recommend trying pork stew meat for a change of pace. The pork was melt in your mouth tender and gave the dish a truly wonderful flavor.
My careless mistake turned into a new family favorite. Enjoy! Peg
6 Tbspflour, divided
1/2 tsppepper, divided
1 1/2 lbbeef or pork stew meat, 1" cubes
·canola or vegetable oil for frying meat
3-4cloves garlic, minced
4 cbeef broth
3/4 tspdried thyme
3medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
3 mediumcarrots, cut into 1/4" slices
How to Make Lick The Plate Clean Beef (Or Pork!) Stew
- In large plastic bag, combine 4 T. flour, salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Add beef and shake to coat.
- In dutch oven, brown beef in oil. (In batches, if necessary.)
- Remove beef and set aside. Add onion to pan and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in remaining flour and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add beef and thyme.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Cover and bake 1 hour longer until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with warm, crusty bread or garlic bread to soak up all of the wonderful gravy.