Kabob-e-Kubideh--Beef or Lamb Kabobs
1 lbground beef or lamb
1 mediumonion, grated
1/4 cbread crumbs, dry
1 tspturmeric, ground
1 tspkosher salt
1/2 tspfreshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsplemon juice, freshly squeezed
1egg, slightly beaten
1 tspbaking soda
How to Make Kabob-e-Kubideh--Beef or Lamb Kabobs
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Cover and let sit on counter a few hours or in the refrigerator overnight.
- This Kabob is traditionally grilled over hot coals out of doors, wrapped around long thin flat pieces of metal. Since I don't have the right tool I do it the alternate way.
- Form meat into oblong patties about the size of the palm of your hand. Cook over hot coals for about 5 minutes on each side, or until meat is cooked to taste.
- Kabobs may also broiled in the oven 5 minutes on each side.
- Traditionally kabobs are served sprinled with powdered sumac (gives a sort of sour citrus flavor) along with a mound of steaming rice. Each portion of rice is accompanied by a pat of butter and an egg yolk which are mixed with the rice. The rice should be hot enough to cook the egg and melt the butter.
- Kabobs are also often served wrapped in a piece of flat bread in place of rice.