GROESTEL (SOUTH TYROLEAN HASH)
Recipe & Photo: germanfood.about.com
- 1 1/2 lb
- 1 large
- 1/2 to 3/4 lb
- cooked beef
- 2 Tbsp
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped parsley
- 1 pinch
- dried marjoram
- 1 pinch
- caraway seeds
How to Make GROESTEL (SOUTH TYROLEAN HASH)
- 1Cook, peel and cool (or refrigerate) the potatoes. These can be leftovers or be cooked earlier in the day. Cut the potato into 1/4 inch-thick slices or cube.
- 2Slice the cooked beef, then cut into 1/2-inch squares, approximately.
- 3Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large pan and brown the onion. Remove from pan.
- 4Heat 1 Tbsp. oil and 1 Tbsp. butter in the pan and add the potatoes. Brown one side without stirring, then flip, add the beef and onions to the pan and season with salt, ground black pepper, a pinch of dried marjoram and a pinch or two of caraway seeds.
- 5Continue browning until heated through and crispy, stirring or flipping as needed. Add oil or butter as necessary.
- 6In another pan fry 4 eggs in butter.
- 7Serve hash with fried egg on top, sprinkled with parsley. Good side choices are cooked cabbage or a green salad.