GNEE'S SOUTHWESTERN STUFFED PEPPERS
Jeannie Potter Hurocy
My husband isn't one to rave about anything...unless it is REALLY good. When I saw him take his first bite he looked up at me with an "I'm in love" look and it wasn't directed at me! When I asked him how it was he replied, "NUMMY!"
That is as good as something gets for him...and it was unbelievably AWESOME. As I took my last bite I told him, "Your wife is a good cook!"
1 lbground beef (you could also use ground turkey)
1 tspkosher salt
1 tspground black pepper
1 mediumonion, diced
4 clovefresh garlic, grated or pressed
5 mediumgreen peppers, 4 cut in half lengthwise and seeded and one seeded and diced
2chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, pureed
1/4 cfresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 can(s)black beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tbspground cumin
1 pinchcayenne pepper (or to taste)
1/4 tspchipotle chili powder
1 12 oz jar(s)medium salsa (i like pace)
·zest of one lime
·juice of one lime, halved
2 ozcolby jack cheese, shredded
8 Tbsplight sour cream
How to Make GNEE'S SOUTHWESTERN STUFFED PEPPERS
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Brown ground beef and drain.
- In dutch oven over medium heat, season browned ground beef with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, chipotle chili powder, pureed chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, garlic and cumin. Add diced onions, diced green pepper and chopped cilantro. Add black beans and 1/2 jar of salsa. Add lime zest and juice of half a lime.
- Heat mixture through until onions and green pepper soften.
- Pour other 1/2 jar of salsa in the bottom of a baking dish and place green pepper halves inside facing up in pan.
- Fill pepper halves with ground beef mixture, press firmly into pepper halves and let overflow surround peppers.
- Cover and bake at 400 F for 40 minutes.
- Top stuffed peppers with 1/4 oz colby jack cheese, 1 T of light sour cream per pepper half and freshly squeezed lime juice before serving.
- Fat per serving-27.16 g
Carbs per serving-42.86
Protein per serving-37.68
Calories per serving-550