Farro & Turkey Stuffed Peppers
But in recent months, I've been looking to increase my intake of whole grains and lean protein and choosing more organic ingredients.
The farro in this recipe has a nice firm texture like barley, but has a creaminess to it that blends nicely with the grated cheese.
I found this recipe to very satisfying, and it filled six medium to large size peppers.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This was the first time the Crew and I cooked with farro... and we LOVED it! These peppers smell good, look great and taste delicious. The Test Kitchen
- 6 large
- green bell peppers
- 1 lb
- 93% lean ground turkey
- 2 c
- broth (i used beef)
- 1 c
- farro, pearled (italian whole grain, like wheat berries)
- 10 oz
- whole mushrooms, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 c
- chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 1/2 large
- onion, finely chopped
- 4-6 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2/3-3/4 c
- romano cheese, grated (or any hard cheese that you prefer)
- 1/2 tsp
- dried thyme
- 1 tsp
- dried oregano
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
How to Make Farro & Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- 1Cook the farro in the broth. This can be done ahead of time.
- 2Prepare the peppers by cutting off tops, stems and removing the inner seeds and membrane. (I cut off a little extra so I can chop it up and add to the filling.) Place them in a large baking dish sprayed with non-stick, or lightly oiled.
- 3In a large skillet on med-high heat, cook the ground turkey. Move to large bowl to cool before blending with other ingredients.
- 4Chop the mushrooms and onions and sautee in olive oil until tender. Add garlic and cook gently for a few minutes.
- 5In a large mixing bowl, add cooked farro, tomatoes, onion/mushroom mixture, grated cheese and herbs and blend well. Taste the mixture and add salt/pepper if desired. (Be careful - the cheese is already pretty salty!)
- 6Stuff the farro mixture into each pepper and pack firmly. Scatter any remaining stuffing around the peppers in the dish. No need to add water - the peppers will give off liquid as they cook.
- 7Cover the peppers lightly with foil and bake in a pre-heated 350F oven for 30-45 minutes - until they reach the desired level of tenderness. If desired - top with grated mozzarella for the last few minutes of cooking.