Eastern Mediterranean Pot Roast
3.5 lbbeef chuck, boneless
1 cchopped onion
1 Tbspminced garlic
1 cdry red wine
2 Tbsptomato paste
2 smallbay leaves
1lemon peel, grated
1/2 cdried apricots
1/2 cprunes, pitted
How to Make Eastern Mediterranean Pot Roast
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 4 to 5 quart ovenproof pot over medium heat.
- Pat meat dry with paper towels.
- Add to hot oil along with all of the vegetables and garlic.
- Brown meat on all sides.
- Stir the onion and garlic occasionally.
- Add liquids, seasonings, apricots and prunes.
- Cover tightly and bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours in a preheated 325 oven, until meat is fork tender.
- Lift meat to a cutting board.
- Cover loosely with foil and let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
- Discard any bay leaves and/or citrus peel and skim fat from sauce.
- If you like, thicken the sauce by stirring in 3 tablespoons flour mixed with 1/4 cup water.
- Slice meat across the grain and serve with the sauce.