Dee Dee's Stuffed Peppers
While I made these on the Italian side, you can change up peppers, cheeses and seasoning for a spicy Mexican stuffed pepper.
I used a really large pepper and a pound of meat. This was more than the two of us could eat. We only ate 1/2 of a serving. So, if you like, divide the stuffing up between 2 medium peppers that have been halved for 4 servings.
Hope you enjoy!
1 largebell pepper (i used a huge pepper)
1 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
1 clovegarlic, minced
1/2 lbground chuck
1/2 lbsweet italian sausage
2 smalltomatoes, peeled and diced, drain excess juices
1 tsporegano, dried
1/2 tspbasil, dried
·salt and pepper to taste
1 cmozzarella cheese, shredded
2 sliceprovolone cheese
1 cmarinara sauce or spaghetti sauce
How to Make Dee Dee's Stuffed Peppers
- Cut pepper in half lengthwise. Remove seed and veins.
- Fill a large pot 1/2 way full will water; bring to boil and add pepper halves; boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
NOTE: The peppers I used were very large and very thick so you may need to adjust time if using smaller/thiner peppers so they won't be soggy. The peppers I used were tender but still had just a little crunch to them.
- Remove peppers from boiling water (drain well) and place in a prepared 8x8 baking dish. I sprayed dish with PAM.
- Using same pot your boiled peppers in, place olive oil in pot; saute onions and garlic for about 1 minute. Add ground chuck and Italian sausage; brown. Drain any fat/grease.
- Once meat is browned and drained, add tomatoes and seasonings; heat until until tomatoes are hot. Remove from heat and add mozzarella.
- Stuff peppers and top with a slice of provolone cheese. NOTE: you can use shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese begins to brown. Removed from oven and spoon hot marinara or spaghetti sauce over the top and serve hot.