HOMEMADE PASTRAMI (SALLYE)
To make it more "home cook" friendly, I use the pre-prepared corned beef brisket in lieu of brining your own. It cuts down a couple of days and lots of labor, and is just as good if not better.
- 1 pkg
- corned beef brisket (4 to 5 lbs)***
- 2 clove
- garlic, crushed
- 1/2 c
- oil (canola or olive)
- 1/4 c
- coarsely ground fresh black pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp
- red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp
- smoked paprika
- 1 tsp
- dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- heavy duty aluminum foil
How to Make HOMEMADE PASTRAMI (SALLYE)
- 1*** NOTE: You need to buy the packaged corned beef that has already has been cured and has spice packet.
- 2Mix garlic and oil in a small bowl.(You can buy garlic flavored olive oil, but I don't think it gives you the full flavor)
Set aside for one hour.
- 3Combine pepper and all other spices (including the spices from the packet that comes with the beef) in a large bowl and set aside.
- 4Place a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil on clean counter or cutting board.
Coat the foil with prepared garlic oil
Lay corned beef on foil and brush with remaining garlic oil
Cover all sides of brisket completely with pepper and spice mixture, reserving 1 or 2 tablespoons.
- 5Place brisket fat side up back on foil sheet and wrap tightly in the foil, make sure foil piece is large enough to completely encase the brisket and overlap
Place wrapped brisket on another sheet of foil with the seam and fat side down
Wrap with this sheet of foil snugly
Do this several times (at least 3 more) reversing the seam each wrap
Be sure each wrap is tight so spicy juices won't escape or pastrami will be dry
Place brisket in baking pan and cook in preheated 225º oven for 6 hours
- 6Remove from oven and set pan on rack, leaving aluminum wrap intact
Cool at room temperature for about 3 hours
After 3 hours, place still wrapped pastrami in heavy duty plastic bag and set in fridge overnight (at least 10 hours)
- 7When ready to serve, preheat oven broiler
Unwrap pastrami and place on baking sheet lined with foil
Sprinkle reserved pepper mix over pastrami
Place in oven about 6-8 inches from broiler
Broil for 3 or 4 minutes to brown
Remove from oven and place on serving platter
Cut into thin slices
- 8Preheat heavy skillet over low heat
Heat pastrami slices in skillet with a few drops of water until fat begins to turn from white to translucent (about 5 minutes)