CUBE STEAK MILANESE
Recipe & photo: eatingwell.com
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cdiced red onion
1/2 tspsalt, divided
1egg, plus 1 egg white
1/2 cplain dry breadcrumbs
1/4 cgrated pecorino romano - or - parmesan cheese, plus 1/4 cup shaved, divided
2 Tbspminced fresh parsley (optional)
1 lbcube steak, cut into 4 portions
1/2 tspfreshly ground pepper, divided
6 tspextra-virgin olive oil, divided
4 cbaby arugula, chopped
3/4 cthinly sliced fresh basil leaves
1 Tbspfresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for garnish
How to Make CUBE STEAK MILANESE
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Whisk egg and egg white in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs, grated cheese and parsley (if using) in another shallow dish. Season steak with the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Dip each piece into the egg, allowing excess to drip off into the dish, then dip in the breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat well.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tsp. oil. Add the steaks and cook until golden brown on the first side, about 3 minutes. Turn, add 1 tsp. oil, and cook another 3 or 4 minutes.
- At this point, they would be done to some people's liking, but I prefer to cover and cook on low for at least another 20-25 minutes.
- When steaks are tender, transfer to a foil-tented plate to keep warm.
- Add 1/4 cup shaved cheese to the tomato mixture. Add the remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper, remaining 3 tsp. oil, arugula, basil and lemon juice; toss to combine. Serve the steaks on arugula-tomato salad. Garnish with lemon wedges and shaved cheese.