CUBE STEAK MILANESE
Recipe & photo: eatingwell.com
- plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 c
- diced red onion
- 1/2 tsp
- salt, divided
- egg, plus 1 egg white
- 1/2 c
- plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 c
- grated pecorino romano - or - parmesan cheese, plus 1/4 cup shaved, divided
- 2 Tbsp
- minced fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 lb
- cube steak, cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 tsp
- freshly ground pepper, divided
- 6 tsp
- extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 c
- baby arugula, chopped
- 3/4 c
- thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for garnish
How to Make CUBE STEAK MILANESE
- 1In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
- 2Whisk egg and egg white in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs, grated cheese and parsley (if using) in another shallow dish. Season steak with the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Dip each piece into the egg, allowing excess to drip off into the dish, then dip in the breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat well.
- 3In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tsp. oil. Add the steaks and cook until golden brown on the first side, about 3 minutes. Turn, add 1 tsp. oil, and cook another 3 or 4 minutes.
- 4At this point, they would be done to some people's liking, but I prefer to cover and cook on low for at least another 20-25 minutes.
- 5When steaks are tender, transfer to a foil-tented plate to keep warm.
- 6Add 1/4 cup shaved cheese to the tomato mixture. Add the remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper, remaining 3 tsp. oil, arugula, basil and lemon juice; toss to combine. Serve the steaks on arugula-tomato salad. Garnish with lemon wedges and shaved cheese.