Chillies Rellenos Casserole
So easy ..and I can't begin to tell you how good this is....except that it was gone in a couple of hrs...:)
I have listed the ingredients and such the way I made it..at the end.i will include the original adjustments, so you can decide, how you wish to proceed, should you decide to try this..( and I hope you do.. You won't be disappointed..:)..)
- 2-5 can(s)
- 4oz.whole green chillies.( i used 2, it calls for 5 )
- ground beef
- 1 lg.
- onion, chopped
- garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 tsp
- creole seasonings powder
- 1 tsp
- cumin powder
- salt, to taste
- 8 oz
- monetary jack and sharp cheddar, ( each), grated
- 1-13 oz
- evaporated milk ( can )
- eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp
- sour cream
- pecan pieces
- 2 large
- tomatoes, fresh, very ripe( x-lg.garden fresh)
- 1 small
- jalepeno pepper
- 3-6 tsp.
- creole seasonings, to taste, ( start w/1 tsp.at a time)
- cumin powder
- 1 tsp
How to Make Chillies Rellenos Casserole
- 1Rinse chillies, open out, remove seeds, and drain on paper towels. Brown ground beef, onions and garlic in large skillet. Add seasoning s and mix well.
- 2In greased , ( I didn't grease the pan and was fine ) , 8x13 inch casserole, make a single layer of chillies, using only half. Add ground beef mixture and top w/other half of chillies. Sprinkle w/mixture of cheeses. In a bowl add evaporated milk to eggs. Add flour, beating till mixed..pour egg mixture over cheese. Top w/tomato sauce..
- 3TOMATO SAUCE:
Okay...I made my own..here's what ya do.. Take 2very large , very ripe, ( not over ripe..), garden fresh tomatoes..core them , slice in half, place in blender..use liquefy setting, and liquefy..lol..
- 4Add 3 teaspoons creole seasonings..1tsp.cumin powder, and 1 tsp. sugar..liquefy again..for a few seconds to a minute..till ya think it's well blended..
- 5Pour all into a sauce pan..and simmer till slightly thickened..about 30 minutes or so..( the longer you simmer..the thicker it'll get..I make my sauce and put on to simmer right after I get my green chillies prepared..that way..when you need it, it is ready..:)
- 6Okay..now that your sauce is ready, use only enough to lightly cover top of casserole..
- 7This dish can be prepared ahead..if preparing ahead of time..wait to put sauce on , till you're ready to bake it..
- 8Preheat oven to 350°F. . Bake 30-45 minutes..edges should begin to brown..and look set and firm..( I just baked for 30 min. Checked it , then baked for the remaining 15 minutes..and took out ..let it set for 10 min..and serve..
- 9To serve, cut in squares of desired serving sz and serve in plates. Top each square w/a generous portion of whipped cream. Sprinkle w/raisin and pecan pieces( I'm sure walnuts would work too).. I didn't have any sour cream..so we skipped it and the raisins, and pecans..
But will definite do so the next time I make it..but it is great enough to stand in it's own..
- 10I served it up w/Indian fry bread.home made fresh salsa, and tortilla chips..
- 11And I can't wait to make this again..:)
We were "ALL" sorry it was gone..:(
- 12Suggested accompaniment , is some sort of avocado dish , such as avocado cut up in a green salad or as guacamole . For a heavier meal, tacos are great w/it too..
- 13Original recipe..all the same..except..I used creole seasonings..they used Williams Chili mix and in the ground up beef , they used 3 tablespoons of it..( personally, way too much heat..and I think the creole tastes far superior ..
- 14Now for the tomato sauce..you can top w/canned tomato sauce, or make my sauce listed above, or you can make their tomato sauce..using as follows w/same instructions..
1 1# can stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato juice
3tablespoons Williams chili mix( way too much heat..but your choice)
- 16ENJOY!.. And let me know what you think..:)