Chili Pie (Amy's)
- homemade (or purchased if you prefer)pastry for 2 crusts
- 3 can(s)
- chili con carne (kind on hand or your favorite)
- 2 c
- medium or mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small
- yellow onion
- egg, well beaten-for egg wash
How to Make Chili Pie (Amy's)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Make your pie pastry (use your favorite recipe) or use purchased one from the fridge. Roll out the bottom crust. Be sure to keep it fairly thin, but try hard not to tear it. Place it in the bottom of your casserole dish, and push it up the sides. Press the sides onto the top of the dish sides.
- 2Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese generously and evenly over the top of the pie crust. Place several onion rings around the casserole.
- 3Pour in the canned chili and spread out evenly. Place the rest of the onion rings around the casserole and top, evenly as possible with the remaining cheese.
- 4Roll out the second crust. Put on top of the casserole, and pinch edges using the pattern of your choice. If you don't feel like there is enough to make a pattern, just seal with the tines of a fork.
- 5Brush pie with egg, ensuring to get it all over the crust; but not in big pools...Cut slits in the top, like crow's foot prints to let steam escape.
- 6Bake for about 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serve while hot. If you have sour cream, a dob will be appreciated for many!
- 7Sorry, no pics...camera out of batteries!!