Chicken Fried Steak
Unfortunately, I now have the book to drool over and cook from by myself. I inherited the book from my friend a couple of years ago. Marlyse and I were friends for over 30 years. We saw each other through marriages, deaths and joys....
- 2 1/2 - 3 lb
- round steak, trim, pound to 1/2" thick; cut into 6-8 pieces
- 5 oz
- evaporated milk
- 2 Tbsp
- jalapeño pepper sauce
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 c
- 2 tsp
- 3/4 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 tsp
- each salt and pepper
How to Make Chicken Fried Steak
- 1Combine milk, pepper sauce and salt in a bowl. Measure 1 cup of flour into a bowl. Combine remaining flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper in another bowl.
- 2Dip steak into flour, into milk mixture and then into seasoned flour. Set aside until all meat is coated.
- 3Heat 1 or 2 inches oil in a heavy fry pan. Fry meat until both sides are golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve with cream gravy.
- 4Cream Gravy: Pour off all but 6 TBS fat from fry pan; add 6 TBS flour and blend well. Gradually stir in 2 1/2 cups milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Cover steaks with gravy when served.