Hungarian Liver and Onions with Vinegar Gravy
How to Make Hungarian Liver and Onions with Vinegar Gravy
- Slice the liver into finger-sized strips.
- Season the liver with salt and pepper to taste.
- Liberally season the liver with paprika.
- Lightly dredge the liver in flour and put aside in a bowl or on a plate.
- Slice the onions thinly.
- Slowly melt the butter in a frying pan. Sauté the onions very slowly, on medium heat, until caramelized.
- As soon as the onions are caramelized, add the liver to the pan along with the onions. The liver should only take about 6 - 8 minutes to cook. Toss several times while cooking and add small amounts of water, in increments, if necessary. Be VERY careful not to overcook the liver!
- When done, liberally sprinkle paprika over everything and mix in the vinegar to make a thick onion gravy.
Ready to serve!
* Mashed potatoes and my recipe for Hungarian Cucumber Salad are the perfect accompaniment to this dish.