★★★★★ 1 vote5
3 lbground chuck
1 largeonion, diced into 1/4 in. cubes
1 largegreen pepper, diced into 1/4 in. cubes
1 1/4 tsppepper
1 1/2 Tbspdried parsley flakes
1 cuncooked white rice, not instant
2 - 15oz. can(s)tomato sauce
1 extra largecabbage head, or 2 medium size
1 lg. jar(s)sauerkraut
3-4 qtvery hot water
How to Make Cabbage Rolls
- Heat the water to almost boiling & turn off the heat. Cut the core off of the head of cabbage, about 1 inch up from the bottom, and place the head in the water cut side down. Cover & let sit until the leaves begin to soften, about 20 min. or so. Save the water. It will be needed later.
- In the meantime, in a large mixing bowl combine the ground chuck, onion, green pepper, salt, 1 tsp. of the pepper, 1 tbsp. of the parsley, rice, eggs and 1/2 half of 1 can of tom. sauce. Mix well by hand.
- Once the cabbage is softened remove it from the water and place it on a plate or bowl and let cool enough to remove the leaves.
- To assemble, take a handful of the meat mixture (just smaller than a tennis ball) and place it towards the center of the cabbage leaf. Fold the cut edge over the meat mixture then fold each side over that and finish rolling. Place fold side down in the roaster pan. Continue this until the bottom of the pan is full, but leaving a little room in between cabbage rolls. Top with half the sauerkraut and 3/4 can of tomato sauce. Sprinkle on the remainder of the parsley and pepper.
Assemble the rest of the cabbage rolls to make a second layer. Top with the remaining kraut & tom. sauce. Don't throw away that kraut juice - pour it in the roaster.
- Reheat the saved water to almost boiling and pour around the cabbage rolls until they are almost completely covered. If more is needed it is okay to use hot tap water.
Cover tightly and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hrs.
- I know this is a time consuming process, but it is sooo worth the effort. Just ask my family. They always tell me it's worth MY time. lol.
Paired with a cheesy potato side dish and you have the ultimate comfort foods meal.