1 lbground beef
1/2 ccooked rice
1onion, finely chopped
2 cchicken stock
1/2 tspcaraway seeds
2tomatoes, peeled and diced
How to Make Cabbage Rolls
- Mix together, lightly and thoroughly, the ground beef, salt, pepper and egg.
- Mix in the cooked rice and chopped onion.
- Steam the cabbage or place in boiling salted water, then drop in cold water.
- Carefully remove leaves and cut thick ribs so they will lie flat.
- Stack 2 - 3 cabbage leaves and place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture on the center of leaves.
- Roll up leaves and tuck the ends in toward the center.
- Use wooden picks or skewers to fasten leaves securely or tie with string.
- Melt butter in heavy skillet and brown cabbage lightly on all sides.
- Add stock as needed.
- Add caraway seeds. Simmer for 45 minutes, adding tomatoes.
- If desired, thicken gravy with a flour and cold water paste. Season to taste.