- 1 lb
- ground beef
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- egg, beaten
- 1/2 c
- cooked rice
- onion, finely chopped
- cabbage head
- 2 tsp
- 2 c
- chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp
- caraway seeds
- tomatoes, peeled and diced
How to Make Cabbage Rolls
- 1Mix together, lightly and thoroughly, the ground beef, salt, pepper and egg.
- 2Mix in the cooked rice and chopped onion.
- 3Steam the cabbage or place in boiling salted water, then drop in cold water.
- 4Carefully remove leaves and cut thick ribs so they will lie flat.
- 5Stack 2 - 3 cabbage leaves and place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture on the center of leaves.
- 6Roll up leaves and tuck the ends in toward the center.
- 7Use wooden picks or skewers to fasten leaves securely or tie with string.
- 8Melt butter in heavy skillet and brown cabbage lightly on all sides.
- 9Add stock as needed.
- 10Add caraway seeds. Simmer for 45 minutes, adding tomatoes.
- 11If desired, thicken gravy with a flour and cold water paste. Season to taste.