Butter Bean Pie
1lb pkgdried butter beans
2lbs pkgground chuck
1 largeonion, vidalia,
2 can(s)mild rotel tomatos
4 ccheddar cheese, shredded
1 pkgmexican cornbread mix
1 pkgcorn bread mix
1/2 cself-rising flour
1 Tbspgarlic powder or chopped garlic
How to Make Butter Bean Pie
- I use large stock pot and use lowest rack in oven. prepare dried butter beans according to package directions.Can be done before hand but reserve juice to 2 inches above cooked beans.
- Preheat oven to 425. Brown ground chuck with the garlic,add salt and pepper to taste,drain off fat.
- Slice onion and separate into rings.set aside.
- Mix the 2 cornbreads according to package directions in one bowl and add the half c. of flour set aside.
- Make sure your beans and juice are hot.Spoon ground chuck in a layer all over top of beans and juice.don't stir. next layer,Rotell tomatoes spread on top of meat,next layer onions,then layer the cheese.before last step spray the sides of pan with cooking spray.spoon the cornbread mixture on top layer and carefully spread to sides of pan.Bake 45-60 mins until golden brown and knife inserted in middle comes out clean
- serve in bowls.with large strong metal spoon dig down through all the layers should still be some juice in bottom.Be sure to get some of that too!