Breadless Philly Cheese Steak
I like to coat my pepper halves with some olive oil or Italian Dressing, and oven roast them till just to crisp tender.
Some variations that I have done in the past:
- Grilled as mini kabobs
- Rather than halving the peppers, use this as a pepper stuffer.
- Use as a filler in small red, orange, yellow, and green peppers for a party appetizer.
How to Make Breadless Philly Cheese Steak
- 1Cut the tops off of the green peppers, but not the bottoms. Slice the peppers in half, lengthwise. Wash and pull out all the seeds. Pat them dry and set aside.
- 2Very, very thinly slice the steak against the grain, as thin as you can get it.
- 3Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steak and salt and pepper and stir every few minutes, letting the steak get brown. When it's almost cooked all the way, add the onion and mushrooms. Cook until the onions are soft and transparent.
- 4Spoon 1/4 of the filling onto one green pepper half. Top with two half slices of provolone and then put on another 1/4 of the filling. Top with the other green pepper half. Repeat with the other pepper.