So, today I am going to give you two recipes– my biscuits and then a second recipe for one of my favorite dishes I make with my biscuit recipe! — A very simple one dish recipe I made up some years ago.
2 tspbaking powder
1/2 cmilk or mix 1/2 milk and 1/2 water
·refried beans/black beans or any beans you like
·red and/or green peppers
·shredded cheese-cheddar or mozzarella
·(or any mix of veggies you like!)
How to Make Biscuit Pie
- To Make the biscuits...Mix the dry ingredients in a big bowl then cut in the butter ( I usually use my fingers to squeeze the butter and mix in with the flour) then add the milk and make dough. Even though there is an exact measure of liquid... use sparingly and only put in enough to make a dough that isn't too sticky.
- Then you roll the dough out about 1/2 inch thick and cut out biscuits. I have made these round and I have cut them out square when I can’t find my round cutter! Bake them until just lightly browned in a pre-heated 375-400 degree oven. They are so good in the morning with even more butter and some strawberry jam! Yummy!
We will use this biscuit dough to make a nice dinner…..
- In a skillet begin to brown the ground beef in just a smidge of olive oil unless it is 15 or 20% fat gound beef…then I use no oil. (I also always drain the fat off of the meat when it is done) While it is cooking season it with coriander, cumin, paprika and/or cayenne, salt and pepper. Sometimes I will add a little hot sauce depending on who I am making it for. I am not going to say how much spice I use because I don’t know….I put in enough until it smells good.
- ***note about spices—I always smell my spices before I use them…then I smell what I am making as I add the spice. The best way to smell food that is cooking is to lean in and “wave the smell” towards you! Yummy!!!
- Options….you can top with salsa, sour cream or leave it naked.
This is a great dish to personalize however you like.
Just fix and enjoy….
- (PS--this dish is very easy to make vegetarian.. just leave out the beef and use more veggies!)