My mom always served it over fluffy white rice.
This recipe is from a cookbook my mother used often. Margaret Mitchell's Mealtime Magic Meat and Poultry Cookery, published by Wear Ever, copyright 1951
- 3 Tbsp
- 1/2 lb
- fresh mushrooms or 2 four ounce cans
- 1 large
- onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 - 2 lb
- flank steak
- 1 Tbsp
- bottled horseradish
- 1/2 c
- 1 tsp
- thick condiment sauce, (your favorite steak sauce)
- 1 1/4 tsp
- 1/8 tsp
- 1 c
- sour cream
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
- 1Melt butter in fry pan; saute mushrooms, onion slices 5 minutes; remove from fat.
- 2Trim fat from steak; mince fat; add to butter in fry pan.
- 3Remove tough, fibrous skin from steak.
- 4Slice meat across grain into 1 inch strips; roll in flour; brown on all sides in butter and fat cut from meat.
- 5Place onion mushroom mixture on top of meat; add horseradish, water, condiment sauce, salt and pepper.
- 6Cover; cook over low heat 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 7Just before serving, add sour cream; thicken gravy if desired.
- 8Serve over hot fluffy white rice or egg noodles.