My mom always served it over fluffy white rice.
This recipe is from a cookbook my mother used often. Margaret Mitchell's Mealtime Magic Meat and Poultry Cookery, published by Wear Ever, copyright 1951
1/2 lbfresh mushrooms or 2 four ounce cans
1 largeonion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 1/2 - 2 lbflank steak
1 Tbspbottled horseradish
1 tspthick condiment sauce, (your favorite steak sauce)
1 1/4 tspsalt
1 csour cream
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
- Melt butter in fry pan; saute mushrooms, onion slices 5 minutes; remove from fat.
- Trim fat from steak; mince fat; add to butter in fry pan.
- Remove tough, fibrous skin from steak.
- Slice meat across grain into 1 inch strips; roll in flour; brown on all sides in butter and fat cut from meat.
- Place onion mushroom mixture on top of meat; add horseradish, water, condiment sauce, salt and pepper.
- Cover; cook over low heat 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Just before serving, add sour cream; thicken gravy if desired.
- Serve over hot fluffy white rice or egg noodles.