I always double this recipe -- can also be frozen.
One of my favorite & my children & grandchildren love it too.
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 lb
- extra lean stew beef; cut into small cubes
- cooking spray
- 1 c
- dry red wine
- 1 c
- each: small pearl onions, sliced carrots & peeled cubed pototoes
- 2 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp
- 14 1/2 oz. can(s)
- beef broth
- 1 1/2 c
- fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 c
- frozen little green peas
- 2 Tbsp
- corn starch
- 1/4 tsp
How to Make BEEF STEW
- 1In medium bowl combine flour & 1/4 tsp. pepper. Add beef & toss to thoroughly coat with seasoned flour.
- 2Coat large sauce pan with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Add half the meat. Cook stirring constantly; 5 minutes or until meat is brown. Remove browned meat & set aside. Coat same pan with more cooking spray. Brown remaining meat & leave it in pan.
- 3To pan, add a little of the wine. Stir with wooden spoon to loosen brown bits stuck to bottom. Then add the remaining meat to pan. Add onions (with a little of the juice), carrots, potatoes, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, remaining wine & beef broth.
- 4Partially cover. Bring to boil over medium heat. Simmer gentle over low heat about 50 minutes or until meat is tender when pierced with fork.
- 5Add mushrooms; simmer for 5 minutes. Add peas; simmer 5 more minutes.
- 6***** If you want thicker gravy, spoon out a little of the broth into small bowl. Add corn starch & stir to dissolve. Add corn starch mixture to stew.
Stir over medium heat until gravy thickens. Add salt & 1/4 tsp. pepper. Remove & discard bay leaf.
- 7Enjoy this stew with any of your bread or biscuit choices.