Spiced Lamb with Almonds
It is the serving of this dish that completes it as a sublime meal.
Serve it with saffron rice, mango chutney, poppadums, chapatis, fresh grated mango, banana slices covered in dessicated coconut or greek yogurt with cucumber.
My picture gives you ideas on how to serve this delicious curry!
- 500 g
- leg of lamb, cut into cubes
- garlic cloves, finely sliced
- centimetre piece of ginger, finely sliced
- centimetre stick cinnamon
- bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp
- black peppercorns
- 1 tsp
- whole cumin seeds
- 200 g
- plain greek yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp
- turmeric, ground
- 6 tsp
- vegetable oil
- 5 Tbsp
- flaked almonds
- blade mace (0r 1/4 tsp dried mace)
- dried red chilies, split and deseeded (or for a hotter dish, split chilies but leave in the seeds)
- 3 Tbsp
- fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) chopped
How to Make Spiced Lamb with Almonds
- 1In a pot, combine the lamb together with the first nine ingredients and 3 tablespoons of the oil. Mix well and add salt to taste and bring to a simmer.
- 2Cover the pot tightly and reduce the heat and cook gently for about 40 minutes or until the lamb is tender.
- 3Once the meat is cooked, heat the remaining oil in a large pan or skillet and add the rest of the sliced onions, the mace and the red chillies. Reduce the heat and gently fry the onions until they are very soft in texture and a nutty golden colour.
- 4Add the meat mixture to the fried onions. Stir the lamb and onion to combine. Season to taste with more salt if needed. scatter the almonds over the mixture and sprinkle the coriander leaves just before serving.
Please see my personal note for serving!