This recipe is very customizable, but just make sure you make it on a day when you really have a lot of aggression. It needs to be kneaded for a while.
6 ozvital wheat gluten (comes in a small brown box near the specialty flours)
1 Tbspyour favorite powdered cooking spices (garlic, ginger, cumin, oriental 5 spice....)
1/2 tspbaking powder
1/4 csoy sauce
1 1/4 ccold water or vegetable broth
2drops of liquid smoke
1 Tbsptomato paste
4-6 cwater (or half water, half veggie stock)
1/2 csoy sauce
·additional flavorings (more liquid smoke, favorite wine, seaweed, ginger...)
How to Make Seitan
- Mix the dry ingredients together really well. Mix the wet ingredients for the dough together.
- Gradually add the wet to the dry. Mix with a fork until it can be kneaded by hand. Knead for 3 to 5 minutes then let rest for 10.
- Wet hands and dough (in your hands) and then knead in bowl for another 3-5 minutes. Let rest another 10 minutes.
- Prepare broth ingredients and bring to boil. Prepare dough by cutting (wet hands and knife before cutting) into strips or rolling into 6-8 balls. Place in broth.
- Cover and let simmer for 1hr. Check occasionally and add more broth (or water) if you need to.