Roasted Butternut and Lentil Soup
You can cook the butternut with the lentils but roasting the butternut gives it a lovely luxerious taste!
You can increase all the spices if you like a spicier soup.
1 cred lentils - dried split - rinsed and drained
2 Tbspbutter, melted
1 Tbspcanola oil
1 tspground cumin
1 tspground coriander
1 smallonion, sliced
1 mediumtomato, chopped
1/4 tspcrushed chili flakes (add more chili for a spicier soup.
1 tspcrushed ginger and garlic
·salt to taste
·and 1 medium butternut, cubed
How to Make Roasted Butternut and Lentil Soup
- Cube the Butternut and spread it on a baking sheet - brush lightly with a little of the butter and Canola oil and bake in 180 degree oven for about 30 minutes - bake so it get brown and crispy - but do not burn!
- In a large sauce pan, place on medium heat - add the balance of the butter and oil. Add the onion and fry gently until translucent.
- Add spices 1 at a time in this order, add cumin stir, add coriander stir, add tumeric and chili flakes stir and finally add the ginger/garlic paste.
Fry gently for a minute then add the washed lentils.
- Immediately add a cup of cold water, the salt and stir well. Cook the lentil mixture on a medium heat stirring often - lentils tend to "catch" if not stirred and the heat is too high. Cook for about 30 minutes. Add another cup of water. Stir well.
- Add the chopped tomato - cook for a further 15 minutes - by now the butternut must be ready - Add the butternut to the lentil mixture and cook a further 15 minutes.
NOTE: For a chunky soup leave the butternut as is in the soup.
- Serve in soup bowls - garnish with fresh coriander and drizzle with cream or yoghurt. Served as a dinner starter - blitz soup till smooth and swirl with some cream or yoghurt and sprinkle with fresh coriander (cilantro)