Mandarin Sauce/Canning Recipe
4 cgreen bell peppers
2 - 20oz can(s)pineapple tidbits or chunks
6 3/4 cwhite sugar
8 Tbspsoy sauce
3 cwhite vinegar
1 3/4 cwater - divided (1 c & 3/4 c)
How to Make Mandarin Sauce/Canning Recipe
- Drain pineapple and reserve juice
- Skin tomatoes and coarsely chop
- Chop other vegetables in quarter-sized chunks
- Combine all vegetables and pineapple in 8-10qt pan.
- Add all other ingredients - EXCEPT ULTRAGEL
- Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and cook until onion and pepper are softened..approximately 20-30 minutes
- When vegetables are nearly ready, mix ultragel with reserved juice and 3/4 cup of water. Wisk rapidly to mix thoroughly. It will be pretty thick.
- Use a large spoon and add ultragel mixture into simmering vegetable 1 spoonful at a time, mixing thoroughly to dissolve gel into sauce. Keep adding until all gel is incorporated.
- Cook, stirring constantly until sauce is thickened.
- Pour sauce into clean, hot pint (or quart) jars. Leave about 3/4 inch head space. Wipe jar rims and attach lid and cap.
- Process, 30 min for qts, 20 min for pints. I used the water bath canner because of the acid content in the sauce, but, if you prefer you can pressure as well. If using pressure canner, leave vegetables a little more crisp as they will cook when pressured.
- Use this sauce over pork, chicken, rice, beef or veggies. It is really versatile and has a bright flavor.