Mandarin Sauce/Canning Recipe
- 8 c
- 4 c
- 4 c
- green bell peppers
- 2 - 20oz can(s)
- pineapple tidbits or chunks
- 6 3/4 c
- white sugar
- 8 Tbsp
- soy sauce
- 3 c
- white vinegar
- 1 3/4 c
- water - divided (1 c & 3/4 c)
- 1 c
How to Make Mandarin Sauce/Canning Recipe
- 1Drain pineapple and reserve juice
- 2Skin tomatoes and coarsely chop
- 3Chop other vegetables in quarter-sized chunks
- 4Combine all vegetables and pineapple in 8-10qt pan.
- 5Add all other ingredients - EXCEPT ULTRAGEL
- 6Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and cook until onion and pepper are softened..approximately 20-30 minutes
- 7When vegetables are nearly ready, mix ultragel with reserved juice and 3/4 cup of water. Wisk rapidly to mix thoroughly. It will be pretty thick.
- 8Use a large spoon and add ultragel mixture into simmering vegetable 1 spoonful at a time, mixing thoroughly to dissolve gel into sauce. Keep adding until all gel is incorporated.
- 9Cook, stirring constantly until sauce is thickened.
- 10Pour sauce into clean, hot pint (or quart) jars. Leave about 3/4 inch head space. Wipe jar rims and attach lid and cap.
- 11Process, 30 min for qts, 20 min for pints. I used the water bath canner because of the acid content in the sauce, but, if you prefer you can pressure as well. If using pressure canner, leave vegetables a little more crisp as they will cook when pressured.
- 12Use this sauce over pork, chicken, rice, beef or veggies. It is really versatile and has a bright flavor.