Ground Beef and Cabbage Casserole
1 largehead cabbage
1 lblean ground beef
1 smallto medium onion, minced
1 jar(s)32 oz. more or less spaghetti sauce
1/3 crice, long grain
1 pkg8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
3/4 Tbspsalt and 1 tsp. pepper
FOR THE ASIAN CASSEROLE, OMIT THE SPAGHETTI SAUCE AND MOZZARELLA CHEESE
ADD 1/2 TO 1 TSP. CHINESE FIVE SPICE TO GROUND BEEF WHILE COOKING AND FOLLOW SAME DIRECTIONS.
How to Make Ground Beef and Cabbage Casserole
- Cook cabbage in salted water, stirring gently occasionally. When done drain well.
- While cabbage is cooking, prepare meat sauce in skillet over medium high heat cook ground beef, onion and pepper. When done drain the fat off.
- To the meat add spaghetti sauce, water and rice; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, stir ocassionally. While meat sauce is cooking preheat oven to 350*.
- Use a 13 x 9 baking dish, spoon 1/2 cup meat sauce over the bottom, then top with 1/2 of cabbage, then 1/2 remaining meat sauce and 1/2 shredded cheese. Repeat layers. Bake 25 minutes or until complete hot and cheese is melted.
- Note: If using the Chinese Five Spice, simply stir or layer meat and rice mixture and proceed with the layers or sometimes I just stir the cabbabe and meat together and then heat till hot in the oven.