Ground Beef and Cabbage Casserole
- 1 large
- head cabbage
- 1 lb
- lean ground beef
- 1 small
- to medium onion, minced
- 1 jar(s)
- 32 oz. more or less spaghetti sauce
- 1 c
- 1/3 c
- rice, long grain
- 1 pkg
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3/4 Tbsp
- salt and 1 tsp. pepper
FOR THE ASIAN CASSEROLE, OMIT THE SPAGHETTI SAUCE AND MOZZARELLA CHEESE
ADD 1/2 TO 1 TSP. CHINESE FIVE SPICE TO GROUND BEEF WHILE COOKING AND FOLLOW SAME DIRECTIONS.
How to Make Ground Beef and Cabbage Casserole
- 1Cook cabbage in salted water, stirring gently occasionally. When done drain well.
- 2While cabbage is cooking, prepare meat sauce in skillet over medium high heat cook ground beef, onion and pepper. When done drain the fat off.
- 3To the meat add spaghetti sauce, water and rice; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, stir ocassionally. While meat sauce is cooking preheat oven to 350*.
- 4Use a 13 x 9 baking dish, spoon 1/2 cup meat sauce over the bottom, then top with 1/2 of cabbage, then 1/2 remaining meat sauce and 1/2 shredded cheese. Repeat layers. Bake 25 minutes or until complete hot and cheese is melted.
- 5Note: If using the Chinese Five Spice, simply stir or layer meat and rice mixture and proceed with the layers or sometimes I just stir the cabbabe and meat together and then heat till hot in the oven.