Chinese Broccoli (Gai Lan)
- 1 lb
- chinese broccoli (gai lan)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- cooking oil
- 6 clove
- garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
- 1/2 c
- water or vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp
- rice wine
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 slice
- fresh ginger, smashed lightly with knife handle
- 3 Tbsp
- oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp
- sesame oil
How to Make Chinese Broccoli (Gai Lan)
- 1Mix water, wine and sugar for the base in a separate bowl and set aside. Wash Gai Lan, trim 1 inch off the stem and discard. Cut Gai Lan into 2 inch pieces.
- 2Heat oil in wok or roast pan until oil is hot. Add garlic cloves. Toss until golden brown (you don't want your garlic to burn). If it starts to burn, turn the heat down. When Garlic becomes golden brown, add ginger slices tossing for 30 seconds.
- 3Add the Gai Lan to the pot, tossing stems in first and then the leaves. You want the Gai Lan to be coated evenly with infused oil.
- 4Add base to the pot, toss quickly and cover. Turn heat down to med-high and let steam 3-4 minutes.
- 5When the Gai Lan looks cooked through, pick out the ginger and throw out. Plate the Gai Lan and Garlic on a plate.
- 6With the remaining stock in the pot (about 3 tbsp worth), add oyster sauce and sesame oil and cook until it bubbles. Pour over plated Gai Lan.