KIMMEL WINE (1936 Recipe)
- 3 1/2 lb
- 1 c
- caraway seeds
- 1 gal
- 2 c
- grated potatoes
- yeast, cake
How to Make KIMMEL WINE (1936 Recipe)
- 1In large stock combine sugar, caraway seeds and water.
- 2Bring to a boil and boil 30 minutes.
- 3Put in a 2 gallon jar and let cool until lukewarm.
- 4Add grated potatoes and yeast cake.
- 5Let the mixture ferment 10 day in a ,relatively cool temperature, about 68 F.,stirring everyday.
- 6As the yeast uses up the oxygen in the container, it froths and foams quite dramatically. But soon the carbon dioxide builds up, the oxygen is exhausted, and the slower anaerobic fermentation begins. When this has finished, the yeast falls to the bottom of the jar and the wine begins to clear. It is then racked ) into a clean jar to mature.
- 7After undergone 10 days of fermentation, strain the liquid with a fine mesh strainer.
- 8Pour into air locked bottles and seal.
- 9Store from six months to a year, allowing wine to ferment and turn fairly clear. It will be lots better the longer you let it ferment, the better tasting it will be!!!
Then you can drink it.