"Soumatha" Greek Almond Drink
(Note: Bitter almonds are not sold in the US. Substitute 5-6 drops of almond extract)
This recipe & picture are from About.com
How to Make "Soumatha" Greek Almond Drink
- 1Remove the skins from the almonds by boiling them for a minute or two. The skins will slip off easily.
- 2Dissolve the sugar in half the water and boil until you have a syrup consistency. Set aside. Using a food processor or blender, grind the sweet and bitter almonds into a fine powder. Combine the ground almonds with the remaining water.
- 3Using a strainer lined with cheesecloth, strain the liquid from the ground almonds and reserve. Pass the ground almonds and water 2 or 3 times through the cheesecloth to extract the most flavor.
- 4Combine the strained almond liquid with the sugar syrup and heat on the stove, being careful not to allow the mixture to boil.
- 5To serve, add about an inch of the syrup to a tall glass with some ice & water. Cheers!!!
- 6Tip: Stored in your fridge it will last for a very long time...that is if you been celebrating:)
My daughter married 4 yrs ago and I still have some leftover in my fridge.