Russian Fruit Compote ~ Kompot
This can be served chilled. 1 - 2 hour chilling time is not included in prep/cook times.
Found at BridgetoRussian.com for Culinary Quest 2014.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 lb
- fruit such as apples, pears, plums, berries
- 6 c
- 1/2 - 2 c
- sugar ~ to taste
- 1 stick
- 1/8 tsp
- nutmeg, freshly grated
How to Make Russian Fruit Compote ~ Kompot
- 1Wash fruit in cold water and cut into small pieces. Remove all pits and inedible seeds.
- 2Place fruit in a large kettle and add 6 c. water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 3Reduce heat to low, add 1/2 c. sugar, and stir. Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 4Depending on the combination of fruits you have used, you may want to add more sugar. (Add sugar sparingly—if kompot tastes sweet when hot, it will taste even sweeter when cold.)
- 5Add cinnamon stick and nutmeg and stir well. Simmer for another 10 minutes. (*I* would add these at the beginning)
- 6Remove cinnamon stick before serving. Serve hot, or chill and serve cold.