Reckoned amongst the sons of Hermes was this great phallic god of the inhabitants of the Peloponnese, especially of Arcadia - a goat-horned, goat-legged god named Pan. In a story concerning Hermes set in Arcadia, Hermes pastured sheep for a mortal master, Dryops, 'oak' - the first Green Man - and whilst doing so fell in love with a local nymph. Hermetic desire found fulfilment, and a magic child was born, with goat's feet and goat's horns, crying and laughing.
When his mother had borne him, she sprang up and fled, leaving none to suckle the child, so terrified was she saw its wild and bearded face. Hermes picked up his son, wrapped him in a hare's pelt, and hastily brought him to Olympus. He sat down beside Zeus and the other gods, and introduced his son to them. The immortals were delighted with the child - Dionysus most of all. They named him Pan because 'all' had been pleased with him.
How to Make Pan's Wine
- Put yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water and set a side.
- In a large pan, begin warming the juices and the water, add the sugar or honey slowly, stirring continuously until it dissolves. Allow it to cool to luke warm and then add the yeast which has been activated by soaking in the slightly warm water
(Remember: if the water is too hot for the yeast it will kill it and ruin the entire recipe... it must be just slightly warm.)
- Cover the mixture lightly and allow to sit over night. Do not let it get too cold as the yeast
will deactivate and if it gets to hot, you already know what happens, keep it room temperature.
- The next morning pour it into bottles with * LOOSE * corks. These must be loose as they will pop many times over the next few weeks of fermenting.
- Once the fermenting process has slowed, then the corks can be put in tightly as it continue to ferment for the next six to eight months.
- NOTE: Test the sweetness of the wine to assure that you aren't going to end up with pucker punch instead. If too tart,just return it to the stove and add enough sugar or honey to suit your taste, bring the mixture to a boil,then bottle tightly in an airtight container and store in a dark area until used.