Hope this information is useful to you.
- one medium-sized, whole lemon contains just 24 calories and no fat. in addition to healthy doses of iron and potassium, lemons also supply significant amounts of fiber and vitamin c
- a medium-sized, whole, fresh lemon contains 2.4 grams of dietary fiber
How to Make Lemon Facts
- 1Lemons can be stored longer if you put them in a glass bottle and add water (the lemons must be submerged in it). You have to change the water daily, but the lemons will be fresh for a long time.
- 2If you only used half a lemon, you can store it in the fridge for longer if you place it sliced side down on a small plate.
You can store excess lemon juice in the freezer.
- 3When rasping a lemon, always do it gently and don’t rasp to the white part of the lemon. The white part will make the zest bitter.
You should dry freshly rasped zest in a frying pan, under medium flame, for about 2 minutes. When done, let it cool down for about 2 hours.
- 4Zest can be stored for long periods of time if you mix it with sugar and put the resulted mix in a bottle.
From a standard sized lemon, you will get 2.5 tablespoons of juice and 1 tablespoon of zest.
You’ll get more juice from a lemon if you heat it a little (in the microwave) before squeezing it.
If you only need a little lemon juice when cooking, you can store the lemon longer if you first stick a toothpick into the lemon and squeeze the juice out of the created hole. When done, you can insert the toothpick back into the lemon and put the lemon back into the fridge.
- 5Substitute the zest of one fresh lemon (2 tsp. zest) with 1 tsp. of bottled lemon juice. Alternatively, replace 2 tsp. of lemon zest with 1 tsp. of dried lemon peel instead of juice, if desired.
Have fleas to kill? Use lemon extract! The first thing to do is buy or make lemon extract. To make it, just thinly slice a lemon, put it in a small jar, and cover it with boiling water. Allow that to sit overnight and in the morning you can pour it into a spray bottle for use.
To treat your dog with it, all you need to do is apply the extract to your dog’s fur and rub it into the skin. You can use a spray bottle, but many dogs dislike those, so it’s best not to traumatize your best friend. DO NOT use it on cats, however, because they can be allergic to citrus.
Be sure to cover carpets, bedding, and furniture with it.
- 6The compounds in lemons can help protect your health. A 2005 study published in the "Journal of Nutrition" found that the limonoids in citrus fruit, such as lemons, can protect against certain types of cancer.