TRADITIONAL IRISH APPLE BARLEY PUDDING
Recipe & photo: oneperfectbite.blogspot.com
1/4 cpearl barley
1 1/2 lbtart apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 clemon juice
1/4 cplus 1 tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
1 cheavy cream for beating - or - 2 tbsp. heavy cream to stir into pudding
How to Make TRADITIONAL IRISH APPLE BARLEY PUDDING
- In a heavy pot, bring water and barley to a boil. Add sliced apples and simmer until barley and apples are soft, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat and place in a blender or food processor. Puree until nearly smooth.
- Return mixture to the pot and stir in the 1/4 cup sugar and the lemon juice. Bring to a second boil and boil gently for about 5 minutes, until syrupy bubbles form. Remove from heat and cool at room temperature.
- When cooled, transfer to another container and refrigerate until very cold.
- When ready to serve, stir 2 Tbsp. cream into the pudding.
For a fancier dessert, whip 1 cup of heavy cream with 1 Tbsp. sugar and layer with pudding in parfait glasses.