Red, White and Blue Jell-O Salad
This salad loses a lot of caleries when you use sugar-free and light ingredients... still tastes great!
For other holidays you can substitute other flavors and fruits and garnishes... it is an easy and fun recipe!
I just wanted to post the original version of my Mother's recipe.
- 1 large
- package strawberry jell-o
- 1 3/4 c
- boiling water
- 1 pkg
- (16 ounces) frozen strawberries (thawed)
- 4 medium
- 1 Tbsp
- bottled lemon juice
- 1 can(s)
- (8.5 ounces) crushed pineapple (drained well)
- 1 small
- (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 pkg
- (8 ounce) cream cheese (softed at room temperature)
- 3/4 c
- oven roasted pecans (cooled)
- 1 medium
- cool whip (thawed and creamy)
- 1 pkg
- fresh blueberries (cleaned and dried off)
How to Make Red, White and Blue Jell-O Salad
- 1Dissolve Jell-O in the boiling water.
Mash bananas, strawberries and crushed pineapple with the lemon juice.
Add fruit mixtue to Jell-O and stir together.
Pour half of Jell-O mixture into rectangular (9x13) glass pan. Refrigerate until set.
- 2Cream together the softened cream cheese with the sour cream. Be sure that the cream cheese is at room temperature so that it will mix well and spread easily on the set Jell-O.
Gently spread the cream cheese mixture over the set Jell-O. Sprinkle on chopped oven roasted pecans.
Pour remaining Jell-O fruit mixture over this, and chill until set.
- 3Spread softened thawed Cool Whip over Jell-O. Sprinkle Blueberries evenly over the top for another level of flavor and a garnish.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 4Cut into 12 evenly sized squares and place on dessert plates or salad bowls on a bed of lettuce.